Sunday, May 4, 2008

REFLECTION ON UNIT 2.

REFLECTION ON UNIT 2.

Perspectives: What Stance Does The Writer Take In The Text?

This unit had been presented by Dalila, Fatihah and Zalikha. Overall, they admit that the Reading section in this unit is difficult to understand because they do not know the meaning of several words.

Well, I do agree with them. When I read the second and third article, I found it hard to understand it. I need to read it more than three times and use dictionary because there are some words which I did not familiar with such as metonymy, diachronic perspective, equivocation, attenuate and so on. However, it is good to have glossary in each unit as it can help me understand more about the unfamiliar words.

There are three readings in this unit that I need to understand. Firstly, ‘Battling the bullies’. Secondly, ‘Language, perspective, ideology’ and lastly ‘Text and Textualities’.

In addition, in unit 2, it elaborates more on how to emphasis the role of perspective in determining a critical understanding of text.

Based on my understanding, perspective is the stance or the reader’s viewpoint taken in a text. It can be either positive or negative. Basically, when doing my assignment, I need to identify whether the writer is condemning or commending about something in his or her article.

While identifying it, I also must alert of many things. For instance, I have to recognize what is the argument that the writer had stated and the implications.

To sum up, I think I need to read this unit once again.

xXx J

No comments: