Sunday, May 4, 2008

REFLECTION ON UNIT 1.

REFLECTION ON UNIT 1.

An Introduction- Who Produced This Text, For Whom and Why?

At first when I heard of this subject which is Critical Literacy (COM 4623), the first thing that comes to my mind was this subject is very hard to score. Maybe because when I heard the word of ‘critical’. And why I heard the word of ‘literacy’, I thought that I am going to learn about poems, short stories and so on.

However, when my lecturer, Mr. Humamuddin bin Abu Samah explain about this subject, slowly I can understand the purpose of learning it and what is Critical Literacy is all about.

In unit 1, there are three articles that we need to read. There are ‘Convicted killer back at work’, ‘Stories and facts’ and ‘Rules and regulations’. For the first article, I need to do it as my first assignment. This unit also introduced me and my classmate on practicing some of the basic skills of critical literacy. Some of the basic skills are topic, content, source, audience, purpose, perspective, positioning, impact and visual literacy. The most important is this unit introduced me the best way of approaching an article or text critically.

The first group who present this unit is Nabil, Rahmat and Anuar. As far as I can see, they tried their best to explain the content which include in this unit for us. Although they also admit that they are not really clear regarding of this unit, but with the help of our beloved lecturer, we can understand more about this unit.

On the whole, in unit 1, I understand what Critical Literacy is all about.

xXx J

No comments: